If you have always dreamed of taking the first step in flying, let us help start you on your path! For over twenty years we have taken students from their first flight to piloting their own aircraft. Our instructors will see you all the way to your exciting first solo flight and then on to your private pilot’s license!
Knowing where to start is one of the toughest aspects of learning to fly. At Above and Beyond Aviation, we offer the perfect solution to this problem by offering a hands-on, scenic Introductory Flight. For 30-40 minutes, one of our experienced instructors will accompany you for a breathtaking flight around the downtown Austin area. Imagine seeing prominent landmarks such as the Lady Bird Johnson Lake, the University of Texas campus, and the Texas State Capitol.
One of the most exciting aspects of an Introductory Flight is YOU will be at the controls, flying one of our well maintained training aircraft for most of the flight under an instructor’s supervision. Introductory Flights are perfect for the aviation enthusiast trying to decide if flying is a true passion, as a gift for any occasion, or as satisfying a long-standing curiosity. So what are you waiting for? Book your $149 Introductory Flight today!
You might find flying is your new career, hobby, or adventure.
If your introductory flight piques your interest to continue pilot training, we will answer any questions you may have and tailor a training program to your individual needs. With several training aircraft and experienced instructors, we offer a unique, efficient, and personalized approach to flight training. Safety is always the number one emphasis of our flight school and it shows with our excellent safety record. Below are some of the Frequently Asked Questions about flight training.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it hard to learn how to fly?
What is a Private Pilot's License and what does it allow me to do?
A Private Pilot’s License is one the first licenses a new pilot can obtain. It allows the pilot to fly a small aircraft without an instructor’s supervision and with passengers in visual flight conditions. The pilot may not fly passengers or cargo for hire with this particular license.
What are the minimum requirements for getting my Private Pilot’s License?
- At least 17 years of age
- Be able to read, speak and understand English
- Able to pass a FAA 3rd class physical
- Able to accumulate the necessary flight experience and pass an oral, written and practical exams
How long will it take to get my Private Pilot’s License?
How many lessons should I take each week or month?
How long is the average flight lesson?
What will I learn?
What will I be expected to know to obtain my Private Pilot’s License?
How can I fly alone (or “solo”)?
How much does a Private license cost?
Most of our students earn their private certificate after spending $12,000 – $18,000. The cost can vary depending on the frequency of lessons and study habits. This includes:
- 40 hours of flight time in a Cessna 172
- 20 hours of instructor time
- Books and supplies
- Third Class Medical flight physical
- FAA Written Private Pilot Knowledge Test
- FAA Practical Private Pilot Checkride
About the Basic Course Summary
Each lesson is fully described within the syllabus, including the objectives, standards, and measurable units of accomplishment and learning. The stage objectives and standards are described at the beginning of each stage with the syllabus.
Basic Course Summary
- Obtaining and interpreting a weather briefing
- Preflighting and postflighting the aircraft
- Airport operations, taxi, and radio procedures
- Takeoff, and the four basics of flight – straight and level, climbs, descents, and turns
- Slow flight and turns
- Approach stalls and departure stalls
- Steep turns – 45 degree bank
- Ground Reference Maneuvers
- Following a road, turns about a point, s-turns over a road and rectangular patterns
- Pattern entries and go-arounds
- Instrument flying and Unusual attitudes
- Emergency procedures
- Cross country planning and flying
- Solo landings
- Solo Cross country flight
- Night Flying
- Advanced landings and takeoffs – Short field and Soft field
- Checkride review
Contact Us To Get Started Today!
Cessna Pilot Center
We are a Cessna Pilot Center and offer a super deal on a New Cessna Private Pilot training kit!